Tuesday, February 24, 2015

It's My Due Date!

Since it's my due date & I'm just sitting around waiting for something to happen, I decided to share a few thoughts from 40 weeks. We took very few pictures this pregnancy, but here is one of me from about a week and a half ago. This is mostly for the benefit of those who don't see me on a regular basis.

38 Weeks

If you would have asked me two weeks ago if I was ready for a baby, my answer would have been a definite NO! Today is a different story. Over the weekend, I heard about 3 babies that were born.  Two of those babies were due after mine. Then, yesterday morning at my appointment, my doctor told me I was 4.5 cm dilated and somewhere between 60-80% thinned. She then proceeded to give me a pelvic exam which created cramping & contractions on and off all day. Needless to say by the end of the evening I was thinking I was more than ready to get the show on the road! After a fairly restless night, I woke up feeling much better…sigh :(

Now, on the day I would typically be at work, I'm sitting at home trying to keep myself busy and not think about the fact that my maternity leave starts today & the clock is ticking that 12 weeks down. A poster at my doctor's office says, "A healthy baby is worth the wait." I guess that's what I'm reminding myself right now. In one week from now, if God allows, we will have a baby. The date has been set and if I don't go into labor on my own, I will be induced for a second time. (I was almost 2 weeks late with Leo before they induced me. This time I'm a little more impatient so we set the date at my appointment Monday. I'm just as dilated and thinned as I was when they induced me with Leo, so my doctor feels confident my body is ready for labor.)

Looking back over the last 40 weeks, it's hard to believe we're at this point. I think because this is my second pregnancy I am more laid back and didn't count down the weeks like I did with my first. Leo also made life busier and kept me occupied over the last 9 months. I think those are the two reasons this pregnancy has seemed to go faster than the last one.

There are other differences in this pregnancy as well. With Leo, I faithfully lathered the Cocoa Butter on my stomach once or twice a day, going through multiple bottles. This time, I pulled out my left over bottle and used it a handful of times. Yes, I still have some left in there for my third pregnancy! Give me a few months and I'll let you know if I regret that lack of discipline. My motivation for eating healthy seemed to diminish this pregnancy too. I remember faithfully getting in my fruits, veggies & grains while pregnant with Leo. This time, carbs and sugar sound good to me ALL THE TIME and I've indulged more frequently than normal leaving little room for those dreaded greens! I'm chalking these two difference up to first time pregnancy syndrome. You know, the I've got to do everything by the book attitude most first time moms have.

Also, that crazy dark line that appeared down the middle of my stomach with Leo didn't ever come this time. I asked my doctor about that and she said that's not unusual. I guess I just assumed it was a necessary part of the process. I'm not disappointed though because that line took forever to disappear it seemed! This time around, I've thankfully had less heartburn & sciatic nerve pain. They have both affected me some, but not nearly as much. I'm also more anxious for labor and delivery. I think I'm more aware of what all can go wrong and how miraculous the whole process truly is. My faith that God's got everything under control is just as strong, but I'm more aware of the magnitude of this little miracle inside my body.

Have there been similarities you ask? Well yes there have been! I'm topping out the scales within a couple pounds of what I did with Leo! I guess I didn't totally over do the carbs and sugar!  I didn't have morning, evening or all day sickness with either pregnancy. This is a huge blessing I've discovered from hearing other women talk about their experiences. My emotions have been fairly steady this pregnancy as well.  I had a couple ridiculous melt downs with Leo, but nothing to drive Ryan out of the house. Thankfully we didn't experience more of that with this pregnancy! We've been working on another little boys room and just like last time, we waited until the 3rd trimester to get that process started. It should be pretty much done by the time we have our baby! We're also just as excited to meet this little boy as we were to meet our first little boy!

Now I need to get off this chair and go mop my kitchen floor.  Maybe, just maybe, that will get the ball rolling! Thanks for listening to my ramblings and thanks for all the well wishes and text messages you've sent my way over the last week. The prayers that you're sending are very much appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. We can't wait to meet our nephew!! Love & Prayers!!!

    You look beautiful, as always, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete