Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Corn Pone Pie

Before I worked at BKM, I took care of a sweet lady named Ruthann.  Although she had a stroke almost 2 years ago, she functioned very well in day-to-day routines.  Her doctor, however, wanted someone to be with her at all times to make sure she stayed safe & didn't get hurt.  Therefore, in March 2011 I started staying with Ruthann five days a week from 7:00 am - 4:00 pm.

I learned a lot from Ruthann.  Her strong Faith in God, little household cleaning tips, laundry stain remedies & cooking talents taught me so much over the course of our 14 months together.  She became family.  She knew absolutely everything about me from what I was cooking for dinner each night to what my spiritual struggles were on a day to day basis.  We laughed, we cried, we watched Rachael Ray & we played LOTS of Skip-Bo!

The other night I was looking through my recipes & I came across one from Ruthann.  My mouth instantly started watering because I remembered that this particular dish was extremely delicious.  Off to Walmart I went to buy the ingredients & Monday night I whipped up a recipe of Corn Pone Pie.  For anyone who's interested, here's the recipe.

1 pound hamburger
Medium Onion
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tsp. chili powder
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can whole kernal corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup ketchup
1 box corn bread mix

Brown hamburger, onion, salt & pepper.  Add chili powder, beans, corn, tomatoes & ketchup to hamburger & cook on stove for 5 minutes.  Transfer to 9x13.  Mix up corn bread as directed & pour over top.  Bake @ 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until corn bread is browned on top.

** I slightly vary the recipe.  I buy a can of Chili Kidney Beans instead of using the chili powder & kidney beans.  I also divide this recipe into two dishes & freeze one (minus the corn bread mix) because a 9x13 is way to big for me to eat all by myself (as some of you probably figured, this is NOT a Ryan friendly meal).  **

Here are a few pictures so you know what you're getting into before you make Corn Pone Pie for your families!  It may look scary, as it did for me the first time I saw it, but it was surprisingly delightful & I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes cornbread!

Hamburger Bean Combo

Corn Bread

1 For the Freezer & 1 For Super

Right Out of the Oven


The Corn Pone Pie did NOT disappoint, let me tell you.  It was as good as I remembered!  Thanks Ruthann for everything you taught me!

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!!

    Love what you said about Ruthann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its another good post, but the food looks disgusting, that's just me though. My wife is an amazing cook and hopefully she'll post pics of another meal to showcase her talent! :} Good job Honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jamy wanted me to be the first comment, so I did it soon after she posted it. Next time I'll have to be quicker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like something we would like! Might have to give it a shot! Thanks :)

    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks/sounds really good! I will definitely be trying it out soon :)
    Thanks!

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete